Whats is abortion? Abrotion is when a mother decides that she doesn’t want to go though with her pregnancies. ”35% of pregnant teens have an abortion(Welton).” Is it legal in this state? A 16 year old girl had an abortion, Because she didn’t think she’d be a good mom and didn’t think she would be able to make it through financially. Now she’s 25 and married. She looks back at her life and theirs nothing she regrets most.
78% of teen pregnancies are untended or not planed. The average teen loses their virginity at 17 or younger but don’t get married till later on in life. This makes pregnancies in American go up. 35% of pregnant teens have an abortion. The Guttmacher Institvte reports in 2006 that there was 200,420 abortions mostly round 15 to 19. More the Half of abortion are by women under the age of 25 in the U.S (Welton).
Some may ask why would you get an abortion in the first place. Well Some say there’s a money problem some can’t afford it. Most teens who get pregnant don’t finish high school(Welton). Also these a lack of responsibility teens don’t want to do and follow through with. That kind of life style is hard to just jump right into if your a teen who wants to do stuff with friends and school, But those kind of things you can’t really do when you have a baby at home.
Laws on abortions vary by the state. In North Carolina most teens have to have parental consent in order to have one(Lewis). Based on the 9th amendment that reads
“The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.”
That protects a person’s right to privacy and their own body. The Guttmacher Institvte reports that in 2010 34 states require
a minor teen who wants to have an abortion that she has to have consent from parent(Welton).
Roe V. Wade was a Court decision overturned in Taxes. That it’s the states decision on weather or not abortion is legal(lewis). In North Carolina it’s legal.
The decision is left up to the women and her doctor. In the early months of her pregnancy she can have one, But in the late months it’s restricted. Unless the mother’s health or the baby’s health is a problem. Then t is left to her doctor and their decisions on if it’s a risk on having the baby(Head;Lewis).
So many teens and young adults are having an abortions now days. Its up to the state weather it’s legal, but there can be a lot of reasons why a mother would want to follow through with one.photo © 2008 Polina Sergeeva | more info (via: Wylio)photo © 2008 Polina Sergeeva | more info (via: Wylio)
- Welton, Rose. “Teen Abortion Facts | LIVESTRONG.COM.” LIVESTRONG.COM – Lose Weight & Get Fit with Diet, Nutrition & Fitness Tools. Live Strong. Web. 03 May 2011. http://www.livestrong.com/article/88415-teen-abortion/.
- Lewis, Jone Johnson. “Roe v. Wade – Overview.” Women’s History – Comprehensive Women’s History Research Guide. Web. 03 May 2011. http://womenshistory.about.com/od/abortionuslegal/p/roe_v_wade.htm.
- Head, Tom. “Why Is Abortion Legal in the United States – Learn Why Abortion Is Legal.” Civil Liberties at About.com – Your Guide to Civil Liberties News and Issues. Web. 10 May 2011. http://civilliberty.about.com/od/abortion/f/abortion_legal.htm.
- “CDC Yearly Abortion Data.” ReligiousTolerance.org by the Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance. Religious Tolerance. Web. 03 May 2011. http://www.religioustolerance.org/abo_fact.htm.
- “Is a Medical Abortion Dangerous?” Women on Web. Web. 03 May 2011. http://www.womenonweb.org/article-237-en.html.